In honor of SXSW starting today, I wanted to share some of my favorite things about the iconic festival with all of you. Here are my best tips to enjoying the week as an insider and making sure you don’t miss out on the most delicious food spots in town.
For the best grub:
- Food trucks. Austin during SXSW has more of them than any place in the country. Jamaican Tacos? Check. Korean Samosas? Check. If they nabbed a spot Downtown, they’re worth trying. If you want a cool treat, CoolHaus ice cream truck is the best place in town.
- Iron Works BBQ is right next to the convention center, which serves as home base of the conference part of the event. It’s a solid plate of grub, but do yourself a favor and find a good hole in the wall place to check out too. The food will be just as good and there won’t be as many lines. If you have time, venture out to Salt Lick BBQ (about 30 minutes from downtown) for some true Texas brisket and a taste of the beautiful hill country (and its BYOB!).
- Breakfast burritos or tacos. You could eat a different one every day. This is the main fuel for a true SXSW-er. Torchy’s is one of the best spots for breakfast tacos (just ask President Obama). Try Moonshine for their brunch buffet. Or if you want to class it up, go to Qui or laV.
- Hit up a winery or two while your down there – Driftwood Vineyards and Duchman Family Winery are just a mile or two away.
- Follow SouthByFreeNoms for info on all the parties offering free food and drinks for badge holders.
This is part one in a four part SXSW series.