We’ve all heard the expression, “I need a vacation from my vacation.” You’ve been dreaming about the perfect vacation, but all you can think of is how you are going to get to see everything within the limited time. Whether it’s your dream vacation, or going home for the holidays, stress somehow manages to get packed along.
To make your next trip feel like the vacation it should be, we’ve compiled some tips to help you return feeling well-rested and energized.
- Eat healthy…most of the time. It’s important to balance your meals, but that doesn’t mean you can’t try that cannoli or indulge in an extra turkey and stuffing helping. Everything in moderation, right?
- Be active and exercise. Instead of jumping in a taxi on your way to dinner, take a walk and explore the neighborhood. Not only will you be increasing your step count, but you’ll also get to see a new part of the town. If you are staying at a hotel, ask for a map of the city and have them mark their favorite places for you to visit. You may just discover a hidden gem.
- Prepare for sleep distractions. Eye mask? Check. Ear plugs or noise cancelling headphones? Double check.
- Don’t over-book yourself. It will be tempting to try to see everything or catch up with everyone while home. Give yourself time to just relax poolside with that book you’ve been trying to read all year.
- Give yourself time to unwind once you get back. You might be tempted to go straight back to work the next day, but if you’ve been gone for a long period or you’re returning from an international vacation, you might want to give yourself an extra day to settle back into your routine. Unwind, do laundry, stock up the fridge and ease yourself back into things.
- Stay hydrated. ‘Nuff said.