Summertime and ice cream…what more needs to be said? With National Ice Cream Day on July 17, we’ve rounded up a list of some of the best places around the country to curb your cone craving. After all, you don’t want to miss out on the opportunity to properly observe this most hallowed holiday!
- Bobtail Soda Fountain: Since this ice creamery is located in the Windy City, it was important to owners Jeff Wilcoxon and Chris Hill to offer treats that can be enjoyed year-round, even when the temperatures drop in the winter. During summer, enjoy delicious ice cream and classic cones. In the colder months, opt for “Steamers” – your choice of ice cream flavor and a topping with steamed milk.
- Amorino: With locations all over the globe, Amorino is taking over the world…and for good reason. Originally started in Paris, Amorino serves creamy, decadent gelato in gourmet flavors like Sicilian Citrus and Dulce de Leche. This shop may be in Chicago, but if you close your eyes and take a bite, you’ll probably think you’re in Italy.
- Fat Cat Creamery: This hand-crafted, small batch ice cream is made with fresh ingredients from local farms. In addition to five year-round flavors, Fat Cat creates a daily menu of seasonal offerings. We’re partial to the Raspberry Beret Sorbet.
- Hank’s Ice Cream: Hank’s is a classic ice cream parlor that dishes up neighborhood favorites like Butter Pecan and old school indulgences like banana splits. This family run business has been a Houston institution for over 30 years.
- Mashti Malone’s: Mashti Malone’s takes inspiration from Iranian ingredients like rose water, cardamom and orange blossom to create exotic flavors. Take your dessert to the next level and make it a “Mashti” – an ice cream sandwich made with the flavor of your choice, delicate wafer cookies and rolled in pistachios.
- Salt & Straw: Salt & Straw may be a Portland, Oregon staple, but their designer flavors are raising the bar in the L.A. ice cream scene. What exactly is a designer flavor? Try the Strawberry Cilantro Lime Cheesecake or the Black Olive Brittle & Goat Cheese and don’t pass up the Avocado & Strawberry Sherbet. This isn’t just ice cream; this is the art of dessert.
New York City
- OddFellows: OddFellows is definitely different, serving much more than just ice cream. They have ice cream sandwiches, boozy popsicles, alcoholic ice cream, and something called the “Foie Gras OddStick.” Don’t ask. Just eat.
- Big Gay Ice Cream Truck: Big Gay Ice Cream started dishing up soft serve from their colorful truck in 2009. Now with two New York locations and a Philadelphia outpost, Big Gay Ice Cream is bringing their rainbow sprinkles to the masses. Make sure to try the Monday Sundae and get there early because the line is always around the block!
- Twistee Treat: In a city where it always seems to be warm (okay, HOT), it’s important to have a place to cool down. Luckily, there are Twistee Treats throughout Florida, with two in Orlando. Twistee Treat serves up classic flavors like vanilla, chocolate and strawberry, as well as premium flavors like coconut, cotton candy and black raspberry. Plus, this iconic building is shaped like a giant soft serve ice cream cone.
- Kelly’s Homemade Ice Cream: Asking a local for a sweet-treat recommendation? Many will inevitably point you towards Kelly’s Homemade Ice Cream. Enjoy unique flavors like “Rum Raisin” and “Cake Batter n’ Sprinkles” at the shop’s cute storefront in Audubon Park.
- Bi-Rite Creamery: Mission District hipsters flock for scoops of the Honey Lavender, Black Sesame, and Salted Caramel. Arrive early (the Mission location opens at 11am and the lines are legendary) to taste for yourself.
- Humphrey Slocombe: Humphrey Slocombe specializes in unusual flavors like corn, cucumber, carrot, and cheese. And those are just some of the “C” flavors! They’re also experts in irreverence like “Elvis (the Fat Years),” “Here’s Your Damn Strawberry” and “Jesus Juice Sorbet.” Unusual, weird, unique…any way you slice it (er, scoop it), the ice cream is just delicious.
To celebrate National Ice Cream Day in any one of these cities, book here!